8/5/13 - BREAKING NEWS...
PhotoMedia wins 12th APEX Grand Award for Publishing Excellence
Communication Concepts, Inc. has honored PhotoMedia yet again with a 2013 APEX Grand Award in the Best Overall Magazine or Journal, print, over 32-pages, (for profit, small office) category. The award was for the entire Spring/Summer 2012 25th Anniversary issue of PhotoMedia, which featured a cover story on Albert Watson and another feature revisiting all the 15 past PhotoMedia Photography Persons of the Year. It was the 11th consecutive APEX Grand Award for PhotoMedia and 12th in 14 years overall. Only 100 Grand Awards were issued from almost 2,400 entries.
PhotoMedia also received its 15th and 16th APEX Awards of Excellence in 14 years, this time in the Personality Profiles category for the Spring/Summer 2012 cover story, "Albert Watson: No Slowing Down," along with the Best Covers category featuring Albert Watson's "Golden Boy" photo on the same issue.
Here are the judges comments about PhotoMedia's Grand Award entry: "Anniversary issues can be tricky. Easy to lose sight of the reader while journeying down memory lane. But this top-drawer magazine has much to remember in its 25 years, and the presentation is reader-focused, starting with the stunning cover and carrying through with spectacular photos -- each taken by a renowned, world class photographer -- and compelling, in-depth feature articles. The individual parts of this issue are exceptional, but when you put them all together, the result is a marvelous creative synergy."
PhotoMedia wins Ninth Maggie Award for Publishing Excellence!
PhotoMedia has won one of three prestigious 2013 Maggie Award nominations. The win was for Best Cover/Trade for the PhotoMedia's Spring/Summer 2012 25th Anniversary issue cover featuring Albert Watson's "Golden Boy" photograph. It is the second time PhotoMedia has won the Best Cover/Trade category, which is considered one of the most competitive and prestigious of all the Maggie Awards.
The other two nominations were for Best Overall Annual, Semi-Annual or 3X Per Year Trade Magazine, also for the 25th Anniversary issue, and Best Interview or Profile/Trade for the Albert Watson profile in the same issue.
These three honors bring PhotoMedia's Maggie Award tally to 30 nominations and wins in the last 13 years. This year’s winners were announced on April 27 in Los Angeles.
OUR AWARDS AND HONORS...
PhotoMedia Honored with NINE Maggie Awards for Publishing Excellence in 33 Overall Nominations in 14 Years!
PhotoMedia has won the prestigious and coveted Maggie Award for publishing excellence NINE times – including TWO in 2007 – in 33 nominations in the last 14 years. The awards were for:
- Best Cover/Trade (2013)
- Best Single Editorial Photograph/Trade (2012)
- Best Single Editorial Photograph/Trade (2011)
- Best Semi-Annual or 3X/Year Trade Magazine (for the overall publication; 2010)
- Best Tabloid/Trade (for the overall publication, 2007)
- Best Single Editorial Enhanced Photograph/Trade (2007)
- Best Tabloid/Trade (for the overall publication, 2004)
- Best Cover/Trade (2003)
- Best Interview or Profile/Trade (2000)
Amongst the 33 total Maggie Award nominations, PhotoMedia has had at least one nomination per year from 2000 through 2007 and 2009 through 2013, and a company best of five nominations in 2009. Categories other than those noted above have included:
- Best Annual, Semi-Annual or 3X/Year Trade Magazine (for the overall publication)
- Best 3X/Year Trade or Consumer Magazine (for the overall publication)
- Most Improved Annual, Semi-Annual, Three-Time or Quarterly/Trade & Consumer (for the overall magazine)
- Best Overall Design/Trade
- Best Editorial Layout/Trade
- Best How-To Article/Trade
- Best Series of Editorial Photographs/Trade
Now in its 62nd year, the Maggie Awards are regarded as one of the highest award honors in the industry for American publications operating west of the Mississippi River.
PhotoMedia Honored with 12 APEX Grand Awards and 16 APEX Awards of Excellence in 13 Years!
PhotoMedia has won the prestigious and coveted APEX Grand Award for publishing excellence the last 11 consecutive years and 12 times in the last 14 years overall including:
- Best Overall Magazines and Journals, four+ color, small office, for profit category (2009, 2012 and 2013)
- Best Writing, small office, for profit category (2011)
- Best Photograph, small office, for profit category (2010)
- Best Overall Magapaper/Newspaper, four+ color, small office, for profit category (2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008)
In addition to the those 12 Grand Awards, PhotoMedia has also received 16 APEX Awards of Excellence, with at least one or the other (or both) per year since 2000. Categories other than those noted above have included:
- Best Cover
- Best Overall Layout and Design
- Best Redesign
- Best Personality Profile
- Best Photo Usage
Now in its 25th year, the APEX Awards are regarded as one of the highest award honors in the industry for publications operating throughout the United States.